OmegaDev
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm back with a question

+5
crazedanimekid
Snacks
Dezz123
Light
LoseOrDieTrying
9 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

I'm back with a question - Page 2 Empty Re: I'm back with a question

Post by omegas7 Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:56 pm

LoseOrDieTrying wrote:Yeah, I got that one last night and I'm so illiterate when it comes to sql Idk how to make a database or start it. His/Her directions suck to a newbie, and he has horrible grammar, I just can't understand some of it.

He's not english.

LoseOrDieTrying wrote:And by looking at it, most of the good scripters don't really know how to spell or proper grammar, not saying all of them have bad grammar, but most of them do.

I consider myself a decent scripter with pruper grammer!

-----

Here's my opinion:
Every free mmorpg engine (like eclipse) pretty much sucks. And, believe it or not, VX is a lot, lot better.
The current VX mmorpgs are a complete fail, but not because of the engine, and you all know that. People are just not putting much effort. In fact, the developers of said complete fails believe they have done a lot of progress just because they managed to make their game online, forgetting basic development fields - specially originality.
The only problem I had with VX's mmorpg scripts was that you couldn't really upload the servers to an online host, and needed to have your PC work as a host day and night. However, this problem can be solved, Ruby works quite well with online databases (as shown in the past in a XP game I forgot the name), but you need some basic experience with mySQL and other stuff I'm not familiar with.
omegas7
omegas7
Admin
Admin

Gald : 4121

Stats
Cookies: 0

http://www.omegadev.biz

Back to top Go down

Post by LoseOrDieTrying Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:02 pm

Quite honestly, none of them succeeded, they just don't look THAT fun. They all have pretty much well the same things in them. None of them have the elements of an mmo though. They do take a lot of work, but when I want something bad enough, I don't stop until I get it. The only thing that's holding me back is not having a team of people that will help without complaints.

Edit: Yes, I have used Eclipse, the server tools are nice, but the maker itself blows, which makes it a bad engine to use. And yes, that's why I said MOST of them have bad grammar, because you and big ed are the only two that can both script and have type with proper grammar. (And while I was typing this I forgot to bring back up WoW and I died. D:)
LoseOrDieTrying
LoseOrDieTrying
Cookie Eater
Cookie Eater

Gald : 597

Stats

Back to top Go down

Post by Snacks Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:08 pm

Ruby Scripting Ftw?
:3
Snacks
Snacks
Bronze Cookiez
Bronze Cookiez

Gald : 1164

Stats

Back to top Go down

Post by Light Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:16 pm

well i guess its safe to say you need to be carefull if you decide to do this
Light
Light
Banned
Banned

Gald : 2129

Stats

http://www.light.site11.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by LoseOrDieTrying Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:19 pm

What do you mean by I should be careful?
LoseOrDieTrying
LoseOrDieTrying
Cookie Eater
Cookie Eater

Stats

Back to top Go down

Post by Snacks Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:20 pm

Light wrote:well i guess its safe to say you need to be carefull if you decide to do this
This is exactly what he means.
I'm back with a question - Page 2 KittenBodyguard
Snacks
Snacks
Bronze Cookiez
Bronze Cookiez

Stats

Back to top Go down

Post by crazedanimekid Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:21 pm

I'm sorry to ask, but how can an angry kitten replace the sheer awesomeness of a wooden sword?
crazedanimekid
crazedanimekid
Platinum Cookiez
Platinum Cookiez

Gald : 1277

Stats

Back to top Go down

Post by Light Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:23 pm

snacks is right thats what i mean
Light
Light
Banned
Banned

Gald : 2129

Stats

http://www.light.site11.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by crazedanimekid Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:26 pm

Oh.....latency in the brain, no good I tell you.

I understand it now. Good one, Snacks. Wink
crazedanimekid
crazedanimekid
Platinum Cookiez
Platinum Cookiez

Stats

Back to top Go down

Post by LoseOrDieTrying Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:31 pm

Well, anyone is welcome to join, we're in need of pretty much anything, from graphics, names, tilesets, sprites, the whole 9 yards. I want to just start off with a smallish world, and if it is popular with the vx community, we can throw in updates regularly to add new content to keep players interested and busy.
LoseOrDieTrying
LoseOrDieTrying
Cookie Eater
Cookie Eater

Stats

Back to top Go down

Post by Snacks Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:42 pm

LoseOrDieTrying wrote:Well, anyone is welcome to join, we're in need of pretty much anything, from graphics, names, tilesets, sprites, the whole 9 yards. I want to just start off with a smallish world, and if it is popular with the vx community, we can throw in updates regularly to add new content to keep players interested and busy.

I'll wait for some start of this project of
yours before I jump on the bandwagon Surprised
Snacks
Snacks
Bronze Cookiez
Bronze Cookiez

Stats

Back to top Go down

Post by LoseOrDieTrying Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:07 pm

I understand, gotta get it up and running first, and get a theme and the systems work out. I'll take a break from WoW and write a thread later.
LoseOrDieTrying
LoseOrDieTrying
Cookie Eater
Cookie Eater

Stats

Back to top Go down

Post by omegas7 Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:41 pm

The question is, are you willing to run the host server 24/7?

Because, you see, I always wanted to take an existing mmorpg script and add tons of addons to make it more like a mmorpg (a bit WoW oriented), by making stuff like dungeon raids, parties, etc...
omegas7
omegas7
Admin
Admin

Stats

Back to top Go down

Post by LoseOrDieTrying Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:06 pm

Yes! That is exactly what I had planned. Razz I love WoW, it just simply amazes me. But of course, I want to have my own twists to it, I don't like the idea that you have 50 million skills at one time, I want to limit it to only a few per instance.

Also, I will be willing to host it ~20/7. I will have to take it down to keep the server running at full speed and to not overload the computer.
LoseOrDieTrying
LoseOrDieTrying
Cookie Eater
Cookie Eater

Stats

Back to top Go down

Post by crazedanimekid Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:07 pm

What kind of server do you intend on using? Specs and what-not...?
crazedanimekid
crazedanimekid
Platinum Cookiez
Platinum Cookiez

Stats

Back to top Go down

Post by LoseOrDieTrying Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:12 pm

Well, I'm running on a crappy computer atm, it has 3gb of RAM, only uses about 1gb of it though, and its processor is a Pentium 4 (duo) 3.00 GHz.

Edit: I think it's enough to handle a 2d game with ~20 people on.
LoseOrDieTrying
LoseOrDieTrying
Cookie Eater
Cookie Eater

Stats

Back to top Go down

Post by omegas7 Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:01 pm

Maybe... just, maybe... How about your bandwidth? That is quite another important factor...
omegas7
omegas7
Admin
Admin

Stats

Back to top Go down

Post by LoseOrDieTrying Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:09 pm

My bandwidth is meh, I upload at 80kb/s and download at 370kb/s. I've been looking into getting better internet, no telling when that might happen though.
LoseOrDieTrying
LoseOrDieTrying
Cookie Eater
Cookie Eater

Stats

Back to top Go down

Post by Dezz123 Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Your bandwidth PWNZ mine... And your RAM and ghz lol.
Dezz123
Dezz123
Legendary
Legendary

Gald : 6469

Stats

http://www.dezzgames.webs.com, www.evalon.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LoseOrDieTrying Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:27 pm

I thought mine was horrible. Sad This thing is ancient (~6 years old) but I've upgraded it with new RAM and a new hard drive. (250gb space now compared to my old 80gb)
LoseOrDieTrying
LoseOrDieTrying
Cookie Eater
Cookie Eater

Stats

Back to top Go down

Post by Dezz123 Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:32 pm

Lol my download speed varies from 1kbps to 20. My upload speed is somehow in the thousands though...o.o
Dezz123
Dezz123
Legendary
Legendary

Gald : 6469

Stats

http://www.dezzgames.webs.com, www.evalon.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LoseOrDieTrying Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:36 pm

Oh, you have dial up then. Your upload speed is probably in the thousands because it's lower than 1kb, so it's showing in bytes.
LoseOrDieTrying
LoseOrDieTrying
Cookie Eater
Cookie Eater

Stats

Back to top Go down

Post by Xzygon Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:43 am

LoseOrDieTrying wrote:Oh my gosh, I just talked with Xzygon, turns out that he doesn't know what makes an mmo and mmo. He's trying to tell me that there are limits to the engine, which is sort of true due to not being able to edit the engine itself. None of the mmo's that have been made on this engine have been made right, am I the only one that knows what a real mmo is here? It's like everyone has been locked inside of their house since they were born. (I'm talking about rpgmakervx.net community) They just don't know what an mmo is, I'm looking for REAL scripters that want to make a REAL mmo. So if you want to help, let me know, because I can't really do anything myself. Razz I'm just the person that puts everything together, makes it work, I make it a work of art, but as I said, without your help, I am nothing. Very Happy

Tell us what a real MMO is, then. What I'm saying is most of what makes an MMO isn't currently featured in VTL, as Vlad is still scripting it, and most of what makes an MMO an MMO is due to all the things that use the Network....ie everything that separates an MMO from and RPG. Using evented or otherwise scripted capabilities is fine, but if it's something that must stick to the player (such as progress through a quest), it has to be saved in the database via the server. And unless you can script a crudload of Ruby and can attach that to MySQL, there is no way to do most of the crap you have to do in an MMORPG.
Let's take your game, for example.

LoseOrDieTrying wrote:Dungeons - not really like WoW, but more like Guild Wars; each dungeon has varying amounts of levels; each level has a puzzle you must complete before you move on; the last level nests the boss, and once you kill him, a chest spawns and each party member can open it once and receives items.
Puzzles are currently NOT global. Although there is a global option, switches are NOT activated globally amongst players. If there's an Event on Autorun that's on Global, it'll play for each player separately. If you were transferred somewhere, someone may still be in the last room if they didn't finish whatever message they got.

LoseOrDieTrying wrote:
Party System - invite people to team up, share loot, raid dungeons, etc.; this is the typical set up as any other mmo may have; also while in a party, loot will be shared differently, instead of it going to whoever deals the most damage, it will be distributed randomly (and evenly) to people in the party.
Party system is not complete. When it is, and since I know already just about every capability Party is going to have, loot is SEPARATE as well. Unless you manage to script it so that each piece of loot is counted one by one and randomly given to a player (this involves networking of course), there is no way to have loot be distributed randomly to people in the party, as the default way just gives it to the person who drops it. Party system is near the bottom of the ring, and Party Quests are even more down.

LoseOrDieTrying wrote:
Skills - no more just running into battle and hitting a button repeatedly to win the fight; you must actually use your skills to be able to deal enough damage to win; each player will have a set number of skills they can use, once the player is in a town, he can learn new skills from a skill trainer, and then place them onto his skill bar to use during battle; you can not change skills outside of towns.
Set number of skills? That's going to have to be scripted to have only a certain amount, and as of right now and probably forever, you can ALWAYS change skills out of town after you've learned them.

Nothing to say about the Combat itself, as it's generic.

LoseOrDieTrying wrote:Loot - not all items will be the same, this feature will be closer to Diablo 2, with my own twists of course; first priority of looting items goes to whoever dealt the most damage to a monster (please note that while in a party, loot is distributed differently); each item that's dropped will have a range of its armor rating; so say a Leather Robe drops, it may have an armor rating that varies between 5-7, 5 being weak, and 7 being perfect for that type of armor; with that in mind, there will be unique types of items that you must identify to see its qualities, these qualities are special buffs that the item has; each item has 3 stages of rarity, the lowest being the base armor with a plain white name and no special qualities, next up being uncommon, which is shown as a light blue and has few qualities, and the highest tier being rare, these are shown in a gold color and have many qualities; on occasion, items will be dropped from chests and bosses that are shown as green, these items are called unique, they are the items the boss uses, and will follow the same guidelines as the other item rarities.
The first priority of looting item goes to whoever dealt teh most damage is already going to be implemented as default, someone will have to script it so there's a chance of one of the armor rates randomly dropping if you're using only one of each armor, and you'll have to script it so that depending on the armor rate it gets, it changes hue or name (depending on which one you're talking about)

LoseOrDieTrying wrote:
Epic Equipment - the game will feature some epic endgame armor for you to achieve once you reach that stage of the game; but even before that, you will find some lower level armor and weapons that have some of the features that the high end ones do; some of the features may include glowing and animations on the equipment.
Again, generic, every single game, MMORPG or RPG has endgame armor.

LoseOrDieTrying wrote:
Production Skills - not only will there be combat, but there will be skills such as mining and fishing to provide a more relaxed atmosphere and give players a chance to do something else besides combat.
Generic, also found in DualityOnline, AOE/ESO, Piratammo, Roledragon Online, Rokeldin (unsure, can't remember the post about it), KOS, and all the other unknown VX MORPGs...

LoseOrDieTrying wrote:
Unique Deaths - ironically, I want death to be an experience in itself; when you die, you will enter a near death state, you have a couple skills based on your class that you can use; while in the near death state, anyone can resurrect you; but after a set amount of time passes, or enough damage has been done to you, you will enter the dead state; once you enter the dead state, you are sent to a dream, you must either wait until someone attempts to resurrect you with a special item, or find the dream keeper and talk to him and choose to respawn at the nearest safe zone.
Impossible unless you completely re-write the Respawn definition of the VTP script.
Once you're dead, you're dead. You respawn into the nearest Safe Area.
You can't be revived via item, because you won't appear in the map that you died in. Dream Keeper chiz won't work unless you track where the player has been, and the nearest safe area to him or her.

So tell me, why do you want me to not inform you of the limits so you can inform yourself of the limits of your game? I've been working closely with Vlad for a couple months, so I know VTL in and out like the back of my left hand. (Albeit, I keep getting cuts and whatnot. Metaphorically and physically speaking.)
I've been watching VNG since a month before it came out, and throughout almost the rest of the year after, I've been working with VNG/VTL to know it. If you don't know it's limitations, all you're going to be saying about your game is a load of faerie dust unless you can get a REALLY good scripter that knows how to work with VTL. Speed himself told me that he didn't like the VNG/VTL server because it uses a third party program, and it's apparently a hassle to work with. So unless you're really familiar with the server, you're going to keep running into problems.
Xzygon
Xzygon
Apprentice
Apprentice

Gald : 407

http://dualityvx.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LoseOrDieTrying Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:09 am

I REALLY don't feel like writing mass amounts of paragraphs to respond to that so I'll keep this concise.

There are always ways to script something new, people do the "impossible" every day. I REALLY wish you would not try to discourage people, you're coming off as harsh, and it's really not working if you're trying to get me to quit. I am a game developer, this is my career of choice, I will stick with it and learn how to code if I have to, I WILL get this done, there's no such thing as limits (Maybe so, but people always break them).
LoseOrDieTrying
LoseOrDieTrying
Cookie Eater
Cookie Eater

Stats

Back to top Go down

Post by Shady Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:17 pm

Don't stay off topic here this is to find out who's helping him. I will and have been helping you to keep topic alive.

>.> <.< ( I got 420 GB Hardrive and 10 GB RAM... I upload 280/kb and download 500 /kb)
Shady
Shady
Banned
Banned

Gald : 3288

Stats

http://www.slimshady.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content